First I used my Octo hand sander and sanded down the entire desk. I then used Mineral Spirits to wipe off all the saw dust that had accumulated on the desk.
I even had a little reader while I took a break from hand sanding some drawers.
I then used used Valspar's Lyndhurst Duchess Blue to paint the desk. After several coats I went over it all with 320 grit sandpaper and then sprayed it over with polyurethane.
This project cost all together around $55 dollars after I bought the additional supplies. I am excited with how the desk turned out. It was the first project involving furniture that I did all alone...usually Rob is the expert.