Monday, November 11, 2013

Fingerprint Pendant Necklace Tutorial from Silo Hill Farm


Hello fans and followers of Our Pinteresting Family!  I'm Danni from Silo Hill Farm blog and I was so excited when Megan asked me to do a guest post for her.  I have no idea how she managed to keep doing projects and posting them right up until her due date, but I'm happy to help her out now! Of course, I wanted to do something baby-ish related, problem is, my babies are grown and gone...but..I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful grandson so I used his little fingerprint to make this layered pendant necklace.
 I searched back on Megans fabulous blog to see just when I started following Our Pinteresting Family.  Turns out, my first comment to Megan was on this post for a fabulous Necklace Organizer that caught my eye.  Coincidence?  I think not!


Don't you love it?  What a perfect way to keep necklaces from getting all tangled up, especially if they have a lot of things dangling from them. 
Although I have a lot of jewelry making supplies, I do not make a lot of jewelry.  I did make a promise to myself that I would try to utilize those tools and supplies more this winter and this is my first attempt.  I have to say that my friend Natalie at NorthShore Days, makes the most fabulous jewelry and does some very good tutorials.  It was this layered necklace that inspired me....
Achieving the Layered Pendant Look
It's a great tutorial and being the novice that I am, I needed it!  
About 3 years ago, I was holding my grandson's hand while we were walking through the woods and the idea for a pendant with his little fingerprint on it popped into my head.  Now because I'm a girl who gets right on it, when we got back into the house, I got out some Fimo clay and made a little ball, flattened it out, pressed his little fingerprint into it, poked a hole in the top, baked it in the oven to harden it and then stuck it in my jewelry box....for THREE years!  Yeah..that's gettin right on it!  So, when I pulled it out last week to make this project, it looked like this...
So precious and tiny. *sigh*.  Also, a little grey and plain.  I got out some primer and spray painted it.
I chose a platinum acrylic paint to give it some color.  Two light coats because I didn't want the paint to fill in the little fingerprint impression so you couldn't see it. 
Then I ran into a problem.  It was really hard to see that little print in the shiny paint.  Hmmm.  Plan B.  I added just a just a little bit of black acrylic to the platinum and used a Q-tip to rub it into the impression ever so lightly.  
Worked perfectly.  Whew!  I gave it a quick shot of clear acrylic spray paint, so I wouldn't knick it up during assembly.
I dug into my jewelry beads, supplies and findings that I've been collecting for a couple of years and chose some things that had special meaning to me.
I played around with this stuff for 2 days trying to get it just right.  For me, the little key was the problem.  I finally figured out how to balance it horizontally by hanging a bead down the left side of it.
After that, the rest was pretty easy!  I chose that blue bead because it reminds me of Jacob's beautiful blue eyes.
Of course, he holds the key to my heart.  There's an awesomeness to little boys with their mixture of mischief, orneriness and sweetness and I'm excited for Megan to have TWO of them!  They grow up so fast and now that Jacob is 6 (and knows everything), I kind of like wearing this necklace and reaching up to feel that little fingerprint from that beautiful day in the woods 3 years ago!


My only other attempt at making jewelry was this bracelet for Valentines Day.
Heart Me Up! Valentines Day Necklace
Thank you for letting me guest post today Megan.  I know you are enjoying those babies and I hope you are getting a little rest!

37 comments:

  1. Dani, this is a great idea and tutorial. This would make a great gift too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to make a few more in time for Christmas!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet and sentimental necklace! And I love the layered look in jewelry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I finally have a necklace that's in style!

      Delete
  3. Adorable!!! What a cute project, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Maybe you should do a cat paw print one!

      Delete
  4. I love it, Danni! Such a sweet idea - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely idea Danni! A real keepsake. I love necklaces with dangly bits, and if they're meaningful it's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how sentimental each charm is to you! What a great project! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marci! Every piece of that necklace has meaning for me!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Megan! What a joyous occasion! So precious and thoughtful of you, Danni, to make this and post in honor of Megan having twins. Every mother should make one as an heirloom keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail! I was so happy to do this guest post for Megan!

      Delete
  8. A very sweet post and a very sweet project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bliss! You know all about beautiful grandbabies!

      Delete
  9. Nat makes some great things, but so do you Danni, this is just lovely. Such a great idea for a personal gift or keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! I had to refer to Nat's fabulous tutorial a lot!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful idea, and a beautiful bracelet. I agree Danni boys are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! Boys just seem to want to please! Guess Megan's about to find that out!

      Delete
  11. This makes me feel all blubbery...as in I might blubber. This is the sweetest necklace, Danni. What a great way to preserve the memory.
    Megan, I hope you are resting and a happy mama! Congratulations on the arrival of your two precious boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea, and I think every mother, father or grandparent would love a cast of their child's little finger print. That layering does look like a challenge. I'd say you got it just right!! Beautiful keepsake, beautiful piece! Congrats to Megan on her two new arrivals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I was glad to have Nat's tutorial to refer to!

      Delete
  13. Danni, you should make jewelry more often. This is beautiful and sentimental. I love that every embellishment has a meaning. What a sweet keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I hope to do more jewelry this coming year. It will be my resolution!

      Delete
  14. Love it, Danni ! Wish I could turn back time for 5 seconds and do this with my kids' fingerprints :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well do it now Linda! It's never too late!

      Delete
  15. This is such a great necklace! My little guy is three now and lord knows the time goes by fast. I can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Danni - I absolutely LOVE this - I'm with Linda - I'd give anything to turn back time and do this when my kids were little - what a beautiful thing to wear close to your heart!!!
    And MEGAN - A HUGE DOUBLE OVER THE TOP CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE DOUBLE BLESSINGS!!!!!!!!!
    Sleep as much as you can ( as a Mother of Twins that's the best advise I can give )
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Suzan! I'll tell you what i told Linda...it's never too late..unless your kids have filed off their fingerprints!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. What a great way to preserve a special memory. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, Megan!!!
    Danni, I just love the fFngerprint Pendant Necklace....pulls at the heartstrings! Awesome job and share!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate you stopping by! We love to read every comment on here. :)